You’re sitting in your infusion chair as your stomach starts to grumble and realize you don’t have any snacks. You were distracted because of processing all of the information your doctors, nurses, and pharmacists provided you with at your last appointment that you didn’t even think to plan for what to bring the day of your treatment. Don’t let this happen to you!
Over the years many of my patients have provided me with insight of some of their favorite items they like to bring during their cancer treatment days. Below is a list to get you started for your cancer treatment journey. Grab a bag or an extra purse and be sure to stock it full of your essentials.
Trying to stay warm or comfortable
- Hand cream
- Sleeping mask
- Neck Pillow
- Ear plugs (if you want a good sleep)
- Hand sanitizer
- Something fun to watch (iPad with charger)
- Laptop with charger
- Crossword or puzzle or boardgames
- Phone and phone charger
- Ear Phones
- Adult coloring book with pens and markers
- Inspirational quote
- Journal with pen
Snacks or drinks for meal replacements
- Nutrition supplement drinks – Boost, Ensure, Orgain, etc.
- Cliff or Kind bars – or any of your other favorite bar
Maintaining good hydration
- Water bottle
- Flavored water
- Soft toothbrush and sensitive toothpaste
- Mouth sore gel
In preparation for nausea
- Ginger (crystalized or chews)
- Peppermint hard candies
With each treatment you’ll eventually get a regimen down and it will be like second nature to have your chemo nutrition and recovery kit ready by the door to grab on your way out. Hope you enjoy your kit as much as many of my patients have.
For more updates, you can follow Survivors’ Table on Facebook. Thanks for joining me on this journey! – Danielle